“Culture in the time of artificial intelligence” conference
What role does culture play in the realities of Economy 4.0? Will culture change due to the digital age in modern society? What should the artist’s new role be – should it be more of a visionary or craftsman at the service of society? Will creative industries become the driving force of the economy?
The “Culture in the time of artificial intelligence” conference was devoted to the functioning of culture in the realities of Economy 4.0. The purpose of the events was to answer a number of current questions about the creation, dissemination and activities of culture in the calculation of social digital phenomenon.
Speakers and invited guests were wondering about the role of the artist – to be more of a visionary or a craftsman for social services? The talks revolved around the growing importance of creative industries in Małopolska, the culture – forming role of large cities and smaller centers, and the activities of cultural institutions.
The results of the latest research carried out by the Małopolska Regional Development Observatory on creative industries in region were also presented. The conference was supplemented with a series of thematic workshops organized in cultural institutions and FAB – LAB. The conference was held on April 26, 2019 at the International Cultural Center in Krakow. The event was addressed primarily to representatives of cultural institutions, non-governmental organizations, artists, craftsmen, creators and entrepreneurs operating in the creative industry and others interested in culture. The event was organized by the Marshal’s Office of the Malopolska Region, the Malopolska Regional Development Observatory Team.
- National Museum in Krakow – “Exhibition of my dreams. Is design thinking possible in a museum?”Participants had the opportunity to learn how the exhibition at the National Museum in Krakow is being created, how the implementation process is managed, what tools are used when organizing the exhibition, and how the project team works. The workshop was an opportunity to get to know interesting inspirations regarding current trends in museology around the world and to plan your own dream exhibition.
- Glass and Ceramics Center – “Craft versus automation”The participants took part in a demonstration of glass objects (utility and decorative) and visited a museum exhibition on the history of the steel mill. They could also make glass paintings themselves, and take their works as a souvenir from a workshop.
- FAB LAB “Wytwórnia” – Workshops “Turn your passion into business”Workshop participants gained practical knowledge about the economic activity of contemporary craftsmen on the example of the successes of selected Małopolska residents. They met start-up communities operating in Małopolska, such as makerspace, fablab etc. and obtained information on events related to the creative industry that take place in Małopolska. An additional advantage of the workshop was the promotion of local crafts and design, including the so-called “Vanishing professions”.
- Krakow Museum – “Towards Nowa Huta”How are exhibitions created at the Krakow Museum and how was the program and mission of its branch in Nowa Huta created? Participants visited the exhibitions “Translocation. Nowa Huta citizens”,”Atomic terror – shelters in Nowa Huta” and “Underground Nowa Huta”.
- FabLab Małopolska – “From needle to laser – machines in the service of a craftsman”The participants of workshop program visited the workshop part of FabLab Małopolska and performed a demonstration of embroidery on “parzenice” (kind of a traditional pattern) using modern embroidery machines and engraving on boards with the use of laser printing.
- Cogiteon Science Center – “Culture in the age of AI”Is the robot our enemy or a friend? Can you make friends with artificial intelligence? How will society function in times of artificial intelligence? Participants of workshops conducted by the Design Thinking method, worked on these and other topics. Classes also gave the opportunity to create prototypes of exhibits for the building of the Małopolska Science Center that is currently under construction.
- Archaeological Museum in Krakow – “Egyptian design”During the workshops, participants learned the principles of Egyptian design by learning how to manually decorate linen fabrics with motifs from ancient Egypt. The program also included visiting the exhibition entitled Gods of ancient Egypt and the screening of a film about the digital exhibition of monuments on the example of the mummy Aset-iri-khet-es.