Małopolska Region is the fourth largest region considering the total number of economic entities classified as creative industries
The main goal of the “Creative industries of Małopolska Region – situation and development conditions” study was to determine the situation, potential and conditions for development of 11 creative industries of Małopolska Region, considering the social and economic growth of the region.
The study covers the following creative industries:
- Film industry,
- Music industry,
- Publishing industry,
- Media and advertisement,
- Fashion design,
- Performance arts (theater, opera, dance),
- Activity of artists and handicraft,
- Works of art and monuments conservation as well as cultural heritage,
- Graphic design and industrial design,
- Video games and software.
The role and significance of creative industries and their professionals for building regional competitive advantage has been one of the main topics of economists’ debates for years. The importance of creative industries for regional development can be observed in all the well-developed economies all over the world. Creative industries in Małopolska Region have also been identified as one of the key elements for regional economic growth stimulation. This study constitutes a synthetic diagnosis of conditions and competitive potential thereof.
- Małopolska Region is the fourth largest region considering the total number of economic entities classified as creative industries (right behind Mazowieckie, Śląskie and Wielkopolskie), however, considering the area concentration level of this type of entities, Małopolskie is second in Poland.
- Over the period 2010-2016 Małopolska was one of the top voivodeships considering the highest growth dynamics of creative industries entities. Over these seven years their number has increased by 36.0%.
- The leading industry is video games and software – over the period 2010-2016 the number of companies doubled. Media and advertisement industry have also strengthened its position. The least optimistic is the publishing industry – the number of such companies has been continuously decreasing since 2013.
- The creative industries in Małopolska Region have been dominated by microenterprises, hiring from 0 to 9 employees. In 2016, the percentage of micro-class entities was equal to 97.1%.
- The largest concentration of creative industries entities is in Cracow (17,063 entities) and Cracow county (2,148), followed by Tarnów (945) and Wieliczka county (989).
See summary: Download PDF